Monday, August 27, 2012

For Twins: The Tree of Life Afghan



An Excuse to do some Cable-Knitting


Oh those babies.  I think I have a sickness.  I can never, ever, get enough of babies.  Not everyone's a baby person, and that's ok.  I know I'm not alone in my diseased-state, for I have spoken with many of you that share this baby-obsession, and we know who we are :)

Recently I was able to visit a good friend and see her newborn twins. I've always wondered what it would be like to have twins. Twins are fascinating creatures, and much as I feel confident holding a newborn (I've had 5 of them!) holding TWO newborns at once was a little disconcerting at first. 

 
 

 
 
 
Of course, twins are the perfect excuse to feed my baby knitting mania!  I wanted to make a blanket for them (and about 100 other things).  Come to think of it, should have been two blankets, but one had to do.
 
I decided on this one, called the Tree of Life Baby Afghan.  Two trees twining together, inseperable.  Trees are symbolic on so many levels, and in so many cultures.  This is a pattern that involves cable-knitting, where your work crosses over itself to create braids or twists.  It's actually very simple to do, but very impressive, and lends itself to some amazing fiber-design possibilites.   
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
What fun it was to make! 
 
 Coming Soon:  A lace shawl, a painted furniture project, and a trip to Port Townsend. 
 

6 comments:

  1. You are SO. COOL. I wish I had the patience to make something so gorgeous...I can't even manage crochet slippers. I love reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Nancy! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how it turned out! Great job, you are so talented, but of course I already knew that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I'm glad it turned out looking good too, that is not always the case :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful babies, beautiful blanket. I have just finished the eternal knot blanket by Daniel Yuhas, for my new grandbaby to be born any day now. I have printed Lionbrand's tree of life pattern, but I prefer the simplicity of the center portion in your afghan. Can you provide a pattern for this version of the blanket? I hope you can. A friend is going to be a grandmother for the second time in November and I would love to make this special project for her. Thanks for your creative time. Gundi Sheppard
    cgsheppard@persona.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner!

    If you are on ravelry, the link to the modified tree of life with the center portion patter is here:
    http://www.ravelry.com/projects/DetroitKnitter/baby-tree-of-life-throw-6

    If that doesn't work, try this link here:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwNdn35iY74MN2FlM2VmMTMtM2RmZC00NGFlLWFmM2UtYmNkODJlZjE4ZGJj/edit?pli=1

    Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll find a way to get you the pattern!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete