Friday, September 7, 2012

For Auction: The Perpetua Shawl




It is FINISHED! This shawl was not the easiest thing I've ever knitted, but it's done! Considering my previous experience with a lace shawl, this indeed, is a 'moment' for me.


 

The yarn is a lovely hand-painted merino wool/silk blend. It is beyond soft, with that subtle sheen that silk gives to all the tonal colors. The yarn color is called 'Water Lillies.'



Of course, it did not get finished without a struggle.  When I had completed the last of the lace pattern rows, almost to the finish, 25 of my 527 teeny stitches decided to slide off the end of the needles............



Frustration is inadequate to describe what I went through.  But I was almost there, and I really wanted to finish.  I picked them up as best I could, and luckily everything came back together just fine.  Whew! 

I got myself back on track, and then finished.   A finished lace shawl ends up looking pretty unremarkable. 



Really, all those hours for THAT?
'Blocking' is the process of stretching it into the shape it will take. 

I gently washed the shawl, and put it through a salad spinner to remove the excess water.



When wet it stretches to almost twice it's original size.  I laid it out on my mattress and pinned it into place.  This was the first time I've ever used blocking wires to stretch my project - and they worked beautifully.



 
As much as I'd love to keep this shawl, especially after all my hard work (and a few tears, I must admit it), it is being donated soon for a cause that is close to my heart.

For over seven years now, our autistic son has been receiving therapy services at Northwest Behavioral Associates.  The people who have worked with him there have worked nothing short of a miracle in our lives.  We are so grateful to the amazing program managers that have worked with him there:  Melissa Liotti, Mary Tinsley, and Randee Wagner, as well as fabulous directors, Stacey Shook, and Jane Helbig.  Together they have worked with us to bring out our son's amazing potential. 

Anyone want to buy a beautiful, hand-knit, lace shawl?  It will be sold at this event. 


If you are interested in donating to a great cause, or in attending the Art for Autism event, you can get more information here


I love the way light passes through knitted lace.  So very lovely.


There are probably 1001 ways to drape this shawlette.


Shadow

No comments:

Post a Comment