Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Spring Fair and Sheep

 
 
We just had an amazing Spring Break with the kids.  We didn't go on any big trips, but had sunshine almost the whole week - a miracle for us in the Pacific Northwest.

My kids played hard all day every day in the sunshine.  They waded in the creek when it got hot, they built a fort out of dry branches and twine, they shot off a rocket, they had a picnic in the field.







It was a week to remember for all of us.  The best 'staycation' ever.

We also went to the Spring Fair.




I will admit, I was mostly interested in the Shepherd's Extravaganza - a Fiber Fair.

As soon as I walked into that place.

I felt like I was home.

The smell of sheep.

Spinning wheels everywhere.

Advice, help, people chatting with me and helping me navigate this world of fiber.

I even sat down for my first time ever on a spinning wheel!!

 




I was overwhelmed by the kindness of my local fiber community.  They answered my questions, patiently demonstrated how to card wool, make rolags, and spin.

In the entire three hours that we were there, my husband took the younger kids to see the dogs, the chickens, the goats, the horses, and almost every other exhibit at the fair.

My oldest daugher and I never left the fiber building.  And we were wishing for more time to spend there when we had to go!

I came across this amazing video a few weeks ago that sums up how I am starting to feel about raising sheep or other fiber animals. 

It is from Five Green Acres, and Mary Jo graciously gave me permission to share it with you. 

I know, I know.

I'm not ready, I'm not a 'farm girl' and I have no idea what I'm doing.

But it made my cry.  Really. 




Enjoy.

I think this whole country living thing is gonna work out well for me.

Except for my fear of bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment